Friday, May 22, 2009

caelestis, adj. in the sky, heavenly, divine

Aeneid, 1.11, tantaene animis caelestibus irae? (do divine minds have such great anger?). cf. caelum, heaven, air, sky. Eng. celestial, of or relating to the sky or the heavens, supremely good, sublime. Robert Louis Stevenson, A Child's Garden of Verse and Underwoods,

The Celestial Surgeon
IF I have faltered more or less
In my great task of happiness;
If I have moved among my race
And shown no glorious morning face;
If beams from happy human eyes
Have moved me not; if morning skies,
Books, and my food, and summer rain
Knocked on my sullen heart in vain:
Lord, thy most pointed pleasure take
And stab my spirit broad awake;
Or, Lord, if too obdurate I,
Choose thou, before that spirit die
A piercing pain, a killing sin,
And to my dead heart run them in!

No comments:

Post a Comment